Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Rock the Boat Basin: Events Committee Wrap-Up

Part of the joy in leading the Events Committee is getting to work with my committee volunteer to make each fundraising party a success. I often tell my members and other GOTO volunteers that “We put the fun in fundraising!” (cheesy and slightly embarrassing, I know, but it’s true!).

We ensure that each event goer's donated dollar is returned in the form of fun. We pick the little details that make each event one to remember: rockin’ bands, amazing silent auction items, delicious food and plenty of free-flowing "refreshments."

Thanks to the hard work of our volunteers - and the tireless outreach led by our Marketing Committee - GOTO events always have a great mix of New Yorkers. Rock the Boat Basin was no different. Each of you looked awesome when you stepped onto the scene. And you were surprisingly prompt!

While Rock the Boat Basin was GOTO NYC’s first foray into the Upper West Side, we pulled it off. And I had the best time while I was there!

Over the course of the night, I made it my mission to meet & speak to as many party goers as possible. For those of you who I spoke to, I want to thank each of you for not freaking out when I walked up with my little orange notebook and asked you to answer my questions:

“Why do you GOTO?”, “What do these events mean to you?”, “Is this your first or your fifteenth?”, “Who suckered you into coming tonight?”, “Are you interested in volunteering?” and the dreaded, “Can I take your photo for the blog?“

Some of the answers I received (and friends I made) can be found in the blog posts directly below. I hope they make you appreciate our GOTO people as much as I do.

I look forward to seeing each of you at Halloween 2009 - our NINTH (can you believe it!?!) Annual Costume Bash is at the Broad Street Ballroom. We’ll be rockin’ out from 9 pm to 2 am this year!

See you soon and thank you, thank you, thank you for your support of our kids!

Xo- Kelsy
Chair, Events Committee

No comments:

Post a Comment